Request to Correct a Trademark Registration

If there is an error with a trademark registration or a new registration needs to be issued due to a change in ownership, under Section 7 of the Lanham Act, the trademark owner can request a correction.


At anytime after a trademark registration issues, the trademark order can request to correct the registration by filing a Section 7 Request for Amendment or Correction of Registration Certificate. It is named a Section 7 Request because the rules governing the process are outlined in Section 7 of the Lanham Act.

 Section 7 form on TEAS


Items that may be corrected on a trademark registration include a mistake made by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when processing the trademark registration, a mistake made by the trademark applicant that occured in good faith, or an updated address or change in ownership to be filed with the USPTO.


The USPTO website explicitly states a Section 7 Request can be made for:

  • Correcting an immaterial error in a registration that was the fault of the USPTO, or which occurred in good faith through the owner/holder of the registration;

  • Amending "for good cause" of a registration; or

  • A new registration certificate if a new owner/holder exists.


The cost to file a Section 7 Request cost $100, if filed online through the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS). If a Section 7 Request is filed on paper, the cost increases to $200.


If you need to make a correction to your trademark registration, reach out to us for a free trademark consultation. Our attorneys will work with you to help resolve the issue.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Nine Common Trademark Mistakes

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Follow Us
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
Contact Us